Enkele bericht bekijken
Oud 2 March 2010, 22:20   #114
Mr. Macphisto
Lid

Standaard

Klopt, Mister macfeesstooo.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

En een nadere toelichting:

MacPhisto was created to parody the devil, and he was named after Mephistopheles of the Faust legend. Initially called "Mr. Gold", MacPhisto wore a gold suit with gold platform shoes, pale make-up and lipstick, and devil's horns atop his head.The idea of the horns came from Gavin Friday, according to Bono. He spoke with an exaggerated upper-class English accent, not unlike that of a down-on-his-luck character actor. The character was used in place of the Mirror Ball Man during the 1993 shows. The initial inspiration for the character came from the stage musical The Black Rider, a theatrical collaboration between William S. Burroughs, musician Tom Waits, and director Robert Wilson. Realisation of the character did not come about until rehearsal the night before the first of the 1993 shows. According to Bono, "We came up with a sort of old English Devil, a pop star long past his prime returning regularly from sessions on The Strip in Vegas and regaling anyone who would listen to him at cocktail hour with stories from the good old, bad old days."

Bono continued making crank calls as MacPhisto, but the targets would change with the location of the concert. Many of them were local politicians that Bono wished to mock by attempting to engage them in character as the devil. He enjoyed making these calls, saying, "When you're dressed as the Devil, your conversation is immediately loaded, so if you tell somebody you really like what they're doing, you know it's not a compliment." The band intended for MacPhisto to add humor while making a point. Said The Edge, "That character was a great device for saying the opposite of what you meant. It made the point so easily and with real humor." MacPhisto later appeared in the animated 1995 music video for "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" from the soundtrack of the Joel Schumacher movie Batman Forever. Bono had originally indicated an interest in appearing in the film, and his friend Schumacher considered various possibilities, viewing Bono as "a wonderful performer, a very dramatic, emotional singer". ossible ideas included having Bono sing a song as MacPhisto atop a piano in a party scene, but eventually Schumacher decided there was no role for Bono in the film.