Ga Terug   Leerlingen.com Forum > Algemeen > School
FAQ Ledenlijst Kalender Berichten van vandaag

School Problemen met een verslag? Enquete houden? Plaats het hier als het met school te maken heeft.

Antwoord

Onderwerpopties Stem op Onderwerp Weergavemodus
Oud 17 January 2004, 14:46   #1
Babysmurfie

Standaard Engels

Zouden jullie zo vriendelijk willen zijn om mijn essay (of de eerste tien regels) te lezen en te kijken of jullie fouten vinden, of gewoon zeggen hoe goed het in elkaar zit?
Dankjewel

Essay: English vs. Esperanto as a world language

I do not believe Esperanto will ever become a world language; English sounds much more probable to me.

This does not have anything to do with the languages itself, but with the society’s willingness to learn those languages. I am sure Esperanto has many advantages, like its simplicity and neutrality, but English has the huge advantage that it is already spoken by millions of people. As for the neutrality, the cultural background of English does not really matter to me, and I do not believe people refuse to learn English as a protest against English or American society, the language and the society can easily be disconnected.
Esperanto’s simplicity makes it easy to learn, but I doubt if it is a beautiful language. The richness seems to be missing. However, I can be wrong; I have not yet heard Esperanto a lot.
Because of its neutrality, Esperanto is spoken very little, it is not anyone’s native language. You can consider that an advantage, but to me it rather is a drawback. Nobody speaks it spontaneously and that’s why this language sounds very artificial, it does not have an own identity. This argument is subjective, but it is how I (and many others) feel it. This is why I think many people are not willing to learn Esperanto.
Moreover, very few people really believe Esperanto will ever become a world language, and that is another reason why they do not want to learn how to speak it. Of course, this is a cause and a consequence.
To return to the simplicity, English has already been simplified a lot, and this tendency will go on. If many people do not apply a rule, but use a more simple one, after a while, this more simple rule will become wholly accepted. I believe that in the future, more words will be verbs, nouns and adjectives at the same time.
Besides, I believe it quite impossible that everyone will ever speak the same (second) language. Many people are down and out, they do not even have money to survive. They will never be able to learn a second language, they will stay illiterate.

I can conclude that I do not see a future for Esperanto, but English can, or has already, become the language for science, business, economics, politics, technology, and many other branches in the professional world.
  Met citaat antwoorden
Antwoord

Berichting Regels